- This event has passed.
National Windrush Day of Action
June 22, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Save for Later
Join us at the African Caribbean Centre on 22 June for a series of events to mark the National Windrush Day of Action.
The series of events we, in Leicester, are organising will start at 11am and finish at 11pm and will include:
● a public forum type event, Conversation Cafe or roundtable where people can share memories, stories, accounts and experiences around moving to, living in or growing up in Leicester, how people here have been affected by the hostile environment or the Windrush scandal, and what people can do about this
● Caribbean storytelling
● a presentation on Leicester’s Black history, Leicester’s African Caribbean history, Leicester’s Windrush connection, and the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
● a presentation on the Windrush scandal, Citizenship and Empire
● Caribbean food
● a film and/or documentary
● presentations or conversation around:
i. BME participation in politics
ii. – The History of Anti-Fascism or Anti-Racism Struggles in Leicester, and
The programme will be available closer to the event here and on Facebook.
The Day of Action is being called by BAME Lawyers for Justice who are organising related events in London, Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester to coincide with National Windrush Day and to highlight the harm, injustice and hardship the government’s hostile environment continues to cause.