- This event has passed.
Born In Flames – Film Screening + Fundraiser
September 9, 2017 @ 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Save for Later
The Batty Mama Fundraiser: Born in Flames
9th September, Bernie Grant Arts Centre, Tottenham
In preparation for the insane year of #BattyMama events we’re planning in 2018, Batty Mama are having a fundraiser, which is basically a chance for us to give you lots and lots of amazing, sexy things.. We’ll be screening the prolific science-fiction cult classic Born in Flames (Lizzie Borden) followed by a post-screening-discussion ( speakers tbc) on the possibilities and dead-ends of violent revolutions in #blackqueer movements. The screening will be followed by beats courtesy of #DJLatifahStone and a very exciting raffle.
THEME IS #QUEER ARMED REVOLUTIONS – COME AS YOUR FAVOURITE ARMED REVOLUTIONARY (from Jackie Brown to Thomas Sankara, get out those leather belts and many-buckled boots…)
Bernie Grant Arts Centre is wheelchair accessible with no steps, double doors and wheelchair-accessible toilets. For further info/specific questions please mesage us, or get in touch with BGAC: 0208 365 5450 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Batty Mama is a down and dirty, open and enticing dystopic space for queer and trans bodies from all Black constellations and cultural backgrounds to reclaim booties of colour. We curate a dynamic and immersive programme of queer Black performance that appear both on and off the dance floor. We also feature DJs spinning old skool 90’s r’n’b and hip hop, garage, afrobeats, bashment, funky house and detroit techno. We are for QTIBPOC by QTIBPOC, with a particular focus on showcasing the talent of Black queer, trans and nonbinary artists
Raffle/Lucky Dip Prizes include:
- 2X free tickets to Half Breed, Soho Theatre
- An afternoon with Self Love and Ecstasy founder Ama Josephine Budge (bringing ecosexual, erotic energy to a group of 3-5)
- DVDs: Moonlight, I’m not your Negro, Watermelon Women and more!
- Batty Mama posters
- A print by artist Evan Ifekoya
- A signature portrait by artist @Decolonial_Killjoy
- A mentorship coffee with Project Mission Gallery on curating in community spaces
- 30 minute massage with Mercedez Gonzalez
- A pair of tickets to any film at Fringe! Film Queer Fest
Batty Mama is hosted by Ama Josephine Budge (I/Mages of Tomorrow, The Missing Chapter Collective, HYSTERIA) and Hakeem Kazeem (BlackBoyInGlasses, Collapse the Closet, Our Reeel Histories, BGACinema).