- This event has passed.
Hackney (Dalston) Black History Walk (27 May)
May 27, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Save for Later
2018 marks several major anniversaries • 50 years since MLK was assassinated• 60 Years since the Notting Hill Racist Riots • 60 years since the establishment of the West Indian Standing Conference• 70 years of Windrush, 100 years since the end of World War 1 and 100 years of Women having the vote.
This walk recognises 70 years since the SS Windrush arrived from the Caribbean..This tour starts with the 1950’s and goes right up to the 21st century. We will cover:
- Black music history soul, reggage, rave and acid: the legendary 4 Aces
- Hackneys black activism and its pioneering role in housing equality
- Sus and Operation Jackpot, the Freeway Rick Ross Los Angeles connection
- Black British Civil Rights : Hackney Black Peoples Defence Association, Colin Roach and others
- Revolution via reading: Black bookshops, Maarifa, Centerprise
- Gentrification and social cleansing
- Education and the black child, from grassroots campaigns to national change
- Race Relations 1965, 1968,1976 the reasons, the impact, the legacies
- The rise of the black church