Subscribe to Announcements
Subscribe to Business
Subscribe to Community
Subscribe to Education
Subscribe to Entertainment
Subscribe to Fashion
Subscribe to Health
Subscribe to News
Subscribe to Stories
Subscribe to Uncategorized
Subscribe to Updates
The Amazing James Baldwin (6 week online course)
June 22 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- This event has passed.
Event: The Amazing James Baldwin (6 week online course)
Start Date: 22 Jun 2020 6:30 pm
End Date: 22 Jun 2020 8:30 pm
Venue: Online Event
The Amazing James Baldwin: An exciting, interactive multi-media online course triggered by the recent Baldwin film dramatisation ‘If Beale Street could Talk‘. This course also references the Oscar-nominated documentary ‘I Am Not Your Negro’. This six-week course is an introduction to James Baldwin and a selection of his works. The course draws on a range of written and visual material to present an overview of his writings and contributions to the questions of race and identity, examining how they continue to impact us now.
We will use obscure video clips of James Baldwin (interviews, speeches, TV appearances) and some of his most widely received fiction and non-fiction writing, including Going to Meet the Man, Sonny’s Blues, Notes of a Native Son, and The Fire Next Time. Rare photos, paintings, and sketches that capture his spirit are also included.
- Introduce Baldwin’s work to a new generation
- Highlight and explore his lesser known works
- Use his analysis of 1960s-80s society to interrogate present day local and global racism
- Promote the consumption of Black history and literature
- Provide a network of like-minded people
Course Leaders: Dr Michelle Asantewa, Donna Mckoy and Tony Warner.
Six previous physical courses at the Black Cultural Archives, New Beacon Books and Genesis cinemas in London all sold out so don’t delay booking. This is the first time it has been delivered online.
Every Monday 6.30-8.30pm, live via Zoom from 18th May, for six weeks. Cost £51.00
Other events in 2020 from www.blackhistorywalks.co.uk:
- African Women Resistance Leaders: Political and Spiritual (online course)
- Black History Thames river cruise
- Black History London bus tour
- Black Films and White Power: 10 Years of African Odysseys (online course)
- A Black British Panther speaks: Civil Rights and Fashion (talk)
- African Hair Before Bondage (online talk)
- Zombies and the Demonisation of African Spirituality
- Black Films and White Power (online talk and course)
- Medical Apartheid