- This event has passed.
The Amazing James Baldwin (6 week course from May 21st)
May 21, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - June 25, 2018 @ 9:00 pm
Save for Later
Every Monday from 21st May for 6 weeks. 6.30pm-8.30pm
All six previous courses at the Black Cultural Archives/New Beacon books/Genesis cinemas sold out. Please don’t delay booking
The Amazing James Baldwin: an exciting, interactive multi-media course to mark the release of the Oscar-nominated documentary I Am Not Your Negro by Raoul Peck.This five-week course is an introduction to James Baldwin and a selection of his works. The course draws on a range of written and visual material to present an overview of his writings and contributions to the questions of race and identity, examining how they continue to impact us now.
It will use obscure video clips of James Baldwin (interviews, speeches, TV appearances) and some of his most widely received fiction and non-fiction writing, including Going to Meet the Man, Sonny’s Blues, Notes of a Native Son, and The Fire Next Time. Rare photos, paintings, and sketches that capture his spirit are also included.
- Introduce Baldwin’s work to a new generation.
- Highlight and explore his lesser known works.
- Use his analysis of 1960s-80s society to interrogate present day local and global racism
- Promote the consumption of Black history and literature
Course Leaders: Dr Michelle Asantewa and Tony Warner.Black History walks runs Walks,Talks and Films on the African history of London all year long.
£70.00 for six-week course. Monday 21,28 May. 4,11,18,25 June
• 50 Years since the police killing of David Oluwale
• 50 years since MLK was assassinated
• 60 Years since the Notting Hill Racist Riots
• 60 years since the establishment of the West Indian Standing Conference
• 70 years of Windrush
• 100 years of Women having the vote
Events for 2018 in recognition of the above
- Amazing James Baldwin. Course.
- African Women Resistance Leaders: Political and Spiritual. Course
- African Superheroes Day
- Trafalgar Square Walk
- Hackney Walk
- Black Films and White Power :10 Years of African Odysseys. Course
- Black Power Women of Brixton walk
- 1968 Race Relations Act: The Legacy of Black Lawyers
- Medical Apartheid European experiments on Black Bodies Part 1 and 2
- What were Black people doing in World War 1 ?